1. Your personal information is important to us
MyWitness recognises the importance of your privacy, and that you have a right to control how your personal information is collected and used. MyWitness knows that providing personal information is an act of trust and we take that seriously. Unless you give consent for MyWitness to do otherwise, MyWitness will only collect and use your personal information as set out below. MyWitness may collect and use other information which cannot identify you at our discretion.
2. Collecting information about you
MyWitness collects information provided by its Users and their Personal Response Team about each other, and information collected through your use of the Application or the MyWitness website.
The main ways we collect personal information about individuals are when:
- a person purchases a Subscription to the MyWitness Application and/or Additional Data Allowances;
- a person logs into or visits the MyWitness website or Application;
- the MyWitness Application is running on a person's Device;
- a User sends Notifications to MyWitness, or starts uploading Content;
- a User provides personal information about a person who they want to act as part of their Personal Response Team
- a person otherwise submits personal information about him or herself, or someone else, to MyWitness.
The type of information that MyWitness collects from Users, Personal Response Team members and website users may include the following: name, date of birth, gender, address, email address, phone number, credit card details, pages visited on our website, details of usage of the Application, log data from a Device(s), a User's location, Content, and any other personal information that those persons submit to MyWitness. If a person contacts MyWitness, MyWitness may keep a record of that contact.
4. Particular Handling of User Personal Information
If you are a User, you consent to the following access to and use of your Content and your personal information:
- Upon activation in Emergency Mode, the Application immediately recording audio and video Content and uploading this Content to MyWitness's cloud storage area;
- If the Emergency Mode is not deactivated or "Do Not Send Alerts" not selected within the Deactivation Period, MyWitness:
- notifying each member of your PRT via the method of communication selected by each of them; and
- granting members of your PRT temporary access to view the uploaded Content relating to that Emergency Notification and your Device's current GPS location on a map.
5. Using and disclosing your personal information: General
MyWitness will not use or disclose any information about you without your consent, unless:
- required or permitted by law (including by relevant privacy laws);
- required to implement or permitted under our Subscription Terms between MyWitness and you or a User who has nominated you as a Personal Response Team member;
- we believe it necessary to provide you with a service which you have requested, such as when a User sends a Notification asking us to alert your Personal Response Team to his or her whereabouts;
- to protect the rights, property or personal safety of another User, any member of the public or MyWitness; and
- any of the assets and/or operations of MyWitness are transferred to another party.
If you do not provide requested information, MyWitness may not be able to provide you with access to or full use of the Application.
6. Disclosing your personal information
MyWitness and its affiliates recognise the trust you place in MyWitness when you share your personal information. In order to operate the Application or deliver a service MyWitness may sometimes share your personal information with a service partner, such as a service provider we engage to assist us to provide the Application or store your Content. MyWitness will not otherwise disclose your personal information to other companies without your explicit consent.
7. We will not 'spam' you
MyWitness may contact you at the email or other address or phone number which you provide to us in order to:
- Provide you with updated information about the Application; and
- If you are part of a Personal Response Team, provide you with information about a Notification sent by a User.
MyWitness will not send you 'spam' (advertising information) without first asking you whether you wish to have promotional information sent to you. If you are receiving promotional information about MyWitness and do not wish to receive this information any longer, you may remove your name from our list either by visiting our website and following the instructions on how to withdraw your information from that site (where that facility is available), or e-mailing MyWitness at email@example.com and asking to be removed from our mailing list. Please allow 28 days for this request to be processed.
8. You can access the information we keep about you
If you want to know what personal information MyWitness holds about you, you are welcome to access your record by [visiting your secure page on our website, or by] e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavour to make the file of your information available to you within 14 days.
9. Changing and deleting the information we have about you
If at any time you wish to change personal information that is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us by e-mailing us at email@example.com. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please let us know in the same manner as referred to above and MyWitness will take all reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal reasons. However, please note that if you send an Emergency Notification and upload Content, MyWitness will retain that Content for a minimum period of 3 months from the date it was uploaded to or subsequently deleted from a User's account - MyWitness does this to prevent other people from putting you under pressure to delete Content shortly after Incidents have occurred. Users under 18 will also need to have parental consent to delete their Content.
10. Storage and security of your personal information
MyWitness will endeavour to take reasonable steps to keep secure any information which we hold about you, and to update this information when you notify MyWitness that it has changed. Your information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. We require our employees and data processors to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by MyWitness. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot give an absolute assurance that the information you provide to us will be secure at all times. MyWitness will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information where MyWitness is not at fault.
Please note also that MyWitness may use facilities outside Australia to process or back up its information. As a result, we may transfer your personal information to these facilities for storage. However, this does not change any of our commitments to safeguard your privacy.
You also play an important role in keeping your personal information secure by maintaining the confidentiality of any PIN and user accounts used in connection with the Application. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of or suspect any unauthorised use of your account by any other person or any other breach of security.
11. Password (or PIN) and log-in security
For the purposes of using the Application, Users will be supplied with a user name and password or PIN. Users are responsible for the security of your password or PIN and log-in information. Users take responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of this information.
13. Third party websites
The MyWitness website provides links to websites that are not operated by MyWitness. These linked sites are not under the control of MyWitness, and we are not responsible for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you to examine the Terms and Conditions of those websites.
14. Privacy queries
15. Future changes
Ultimately, with increased public awareness of MyWitness, we aim to act as a strong deterrent to crime by ensuring that criminals are aware that citizens can now protect themselves swiftly and non-violently with a digital witness system which cannot be intimidated or destroyed.